Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Color


As you all know, one of Van Gogh's famous painting, "Cafe Terrace at Night". I have always loved his painting. It is kind of cool I have noticed that I look at the arts a little different way after I started taking this class. I look at the unity, balance, emphasis, color, etc many different element which I did not think about them before!
The yellow that push toward us, and the dark colored building and sky pull inward. The color of the road is bright that lead us inward and outward. Another small yellow square on the right side keeps good balance. This painting make me want to stop by this cafe and have a cup of cappuccino or something if I were in this picture. This yellow and orange color make me feel just warm and happy.

4 comments:

  1. I like how emotive this piece is. The almost neon yellow lighting of the cafe seems incredibly lively when juxtaposed to the more sedate blues of the night sky and the buildings. I also like the variety of colors used in the street; it makes the whole setting more dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right there is a contrast between the yellow and orange with the blue and purple colors. It's a nice cheerful contrasts though. I love the colors in the cobble stone street. The dark buildings throw a moodiness over the party in the background. The little yellow window does balance the large yellow wall for an asymmetrical view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting image for two reasons. First, the image has warm colors, and cool colors combined together creating a well balance image. I like how the warm colors yellow and orange and green are brightening what it seems to be a nice restaurant outside. I like how these warm colors bright the streets and the entire composition making us see the image more clearly. I like how the black color and cool colors at the far background create a sense depth. I like this image a lot, reminds me of Mexico a lot. Great image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved this painting, too. The depth that is created by color is amazing - the darkness of the street and sky as they recede into the page, the brightness of the cafe pulling us into the light, and the stones leading to the cafe seem to recede - become less important. I love the colors used in the sky and stars. So expressive. You are right about the creation of balance of yellows and greens between the cafe and the window across the walkway. It does look warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete